Scunthorpe United v Barnsley

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Football League Championship

Scunthorpe United0(0)Barnsley0(0)

Scunthorpe United :
Murphy, Jones, Byrne, Mirfin, Nolan, Togwell, Woolford, J.Wright (O'Connor 73), Collins (Grant 56), Dagnall, Forte.
Subs not used:
Slocombe, Raynes, Canavan, McClenahan, Godden.

Barnsley :
Steele, Hassell (Doyle 72), Shackell, Foster, Butterfield, Potter, O'Brien, Lovre, Hammill, Arismendi, Gray (Wood 77).
Subs not used:
Preece, Trippier, Colace, Dickinson, Neumann.


by Sheffield Star at Glanford Park

BARNSLEY keeper Luke Steele impressed with two fine saves as the Reds battled hard for a well-earned point at Glanford Park last night.

The former Manchester United shot-stopper denied midfielder Martyn Woolford and striker Jonathan Forte with excellent blocks as Mark Robins' battling side picked up a welcome point on their travels.

Robins made four changes to his misfiring team which were beaten 3-0 away to Reading on Saturday.

Scottish international defender Jay McEveley missed out having sustained a badly bruised foot against the Royals, with youngster Luke Potter installed at left-back as a direct replacement.

Birmingham City loan striker Garry O'Connor was out with a groin injury, while Argentinean midfielder Hugo Colace and West Brom loan hitman Chris Wood were both dropped to the bench.

In came Jacob Butterfield to partner Diego Arismendi in the centre of midfield, while Goran Lovre started as a support man for Andy Gray, who was also back in the starting line-up.

The opening exchanges were frantic and it was the hosts who had the first chance of the match.

Woolford let rip with a sweet right-foot shot, but Steele produced a fine save to deny him after the midfielder had been given too much time on the edge of the box.

At the other end Gray cushioned a header into the path of Adam Hammill and the winger fired a right foot shot just wide of the right upright.

A cleverly worked free-kick nearly caught the Reds out in the 28th minute. Steele spilled Woolford's shot at his near post, but the visitors averted the danger.

Hammill combined well with full-back Bobby Hassell soon after and the former Liverpool midfielder saw his right-foot chip across the face of goal and beyond the far post.

The Iron should have been ahead in the 31st minute after Sam Togwell's defence-splitting pass set Forte free on goal, but the striker hit the right upright with his left-foot shot from an acute angle. It was a big let-off for the Reds.

Eddie Nolan rifled well over with a 35-yard thunderbolt as the hosts continued to have the better of the play.

The Reds were riding their luck and seven minutes before the break Forte only had Steele to beat, but this time he fired well over from close range.

Hassell picked out Butterfield with a lovely long-range pass two minutes before half-time and, having taken the ball down with a lovely touch, the midfielder spun his marker and fired wide of the right post. It was the Reds' best chance of the half.

Iron keeper Joe Murphy spilled Butterfield's right-wing corner on the stroke of half-time and Reds skipper Jason Shackell saw his sweet low left-foot strike blocked on the line.

Woolford had a shot charged down early in the second half and seconds later shot over after the Reds gifted him acres of space on the edge of their own penalty area.

Centre-back David Mirfin headed wide of the far post from a Josh Wright corner as the Iron pushed for the opener.

Hammill shot wide of the left upright on the hour mark and three minutes later Butterfield had a rasping right-foot drive charged down on the edge of the box.

In the 73rd minute Forte, who looked in an offside position, rifled a shot just wide of the right-hand post much to the relief of Steele.

Jim O'Brien set up Lovre with a smart pull-back from the byline, but the midfielder shot horribly wide from close range, while Woolford had a goal disallowed for offside at the other end.

Stephen Foster headed wide of the far post in the 79th minute from a Hassell corner, but still the Reds couldn't get the ball into the back of the net.

Steele then came to the rescue again as he denied Forte with nine minutes left and in injury-time Nolan curled a right-foot shot inches over.