Scunthorpe United v Ipswich Town

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Football League Championship

Scunthorpe United1(1)Ipswich Town1(0)

Mirfin 30

Peters 57

Scunthorpe United :
Murphy, Jones, Byrne, Mirfin, Nolan, Togwell, Woolford, J.Wright (O'Connor 83), Collins (Grant 83), Dagnall, Forte.
Subs not used:
Slocombe, Raynes, Canavan, A.Wright, Godden.

Ipswich Town :
Fulop, McAuley, Smith, Eastman, O'Dea, Leadbitter, Edwards, Norris, Townsend (Peters 46), Wickham (Hyam 31), Scotland (Priskin 72).
Subs not used:
Murphy, Livermore, Lambe, Kennedy.


by East Anglian Daily Times at Glanford Park

IPSWICH Town kept their unbeaten away record intact when they recovered after a dreadful opening half to earn a Championship point at Glanford Park.

For Connor Wickham the game was a reality check. He struggled to compete at this level until giving the ball away unnecessarily for David Mirfin's 31st minute goal. He was immediately hauled off as the Blues switched from 4-4-2 to 4-1-4-1 on Luke Hyam's arrival on to the pitch.

Scunthorpe completely dominated the first period and Town were fortunate to be just one goal adrift.

They equalised in the 58th minute when substitute Jaime Peters netted out of the blue, and as the dynamics of the game changed dramatically Jason Scotland missed a sitter and Darren O'Dea struck the bar.

Ipswich made eight changes from the side that beat Millwall 2-1 in the Carling Cup in midweek, and reverted back to the same XI who beat Cardiff City 2-0 at Portman Road a week ago.

New loan signing Jake Livermore started the game on the bench where he was joined by six players who all started against the Lions.

Ian Baraclough was confirmed as full time managerial replacement for Nigel Adkins on Friday and he made two changes from the side that lost 5-2 to Manchester United on Wednesday - Jones and Collins in for Canavan and O'Connor.

Town started the game in second position and looking to protect an unbeaten away record, but they were under early pressure with Smith fouling Forte on the edge of the box in the fifth minute. Woolford's free-kick flew high over the bar.

It always seems to be a cold day whenever Ipswich take a trip to North Lincolnshire, and today was no exception with a chilly wind circulating around a ground situated on the outskirts of town.

Still to get the ball out of their half for any length of time a 12th minute Iron corner saw McAuley rise to stretch and get his head to the ball to send it dangerously close to the far post.

Ipswich were giving the ball away with virtually every other attempted pass, and when Nolan crossed from the left in the 16th minute, Forte had a free header at the far post, but directed his header over the top.

Only Eastman's outstretched foot denied a completely dominant Scunthorpe a 20th minutes goal after Dagnall had gone beyond McAuley deep in the area. A minute later, it was Fulop's turn to make an error - coming out to meet a corner but getting nowhere and glad to see Jones' header go wide of a vacant goal.

Terrible play by Wickham led to Scunthorpe taking a lead that they richly deserved. He had time to play to the ball to a team mate as Town at last cleared the ball out of their area. But his hasty pass only went as far as Togwell who sent the ball straight back in the danger area where central defender Mirfin found himself goal side and able to float a header beyond the stranded Fulop and into the far corner.

It was no surprise when Wickham was taken off seconds later - although most of his team mates had been just as bad in the opening stages as the 17-year-old.

McAuley, who had done more than anybody to keep the score within reach, had a 44th minute shot blocked at the far post following a long throw as Ipswich improved having switched from 4-4-2 to 4-1-4-1 with substitute Hyam showing how to pass the ball.

Ipswich have been left to wait for their first opening half league goal of the season, and they almost went two behind in the 53rd minute when Woolford put Forte into space. Fulop flew from goal to get in a vital block.

Fulop then saved from Forte again as the Iron continued to dominate, but a minute later - the 58th - Ipswich equalised with the first shot on target.

Edwards' long ball forward came off a defender and into the path of substitute Peters. The Canadian went on to beat Murphy comprehensively from around the penalty spot.

It was Peters' first goal of the season, and came out of the blue. Ipswich should have gone ahead two minutes when Scotland missed a sitter.

Leadbitter put Edwards clear and the final shot by the wide man was blocked by the keeper. The ball ran across goal to Scotland, and he cut back inside Byrne with Murphy still grounded but delayed tapping the ball into the empty net for Mirfin to get in a late challenge and deflect the ball wide from six yards.

It was now all Ipswich, with the Peters goal having changed things completely. A long throw from the left in the 66th minute led to O'Dea shooting against the bar.

The game was now end to end, but Town went close in the 78th minute when Peters headed back Edwards' right wing cross and beat Murphy. Togwell was back to clear off the line.

With 11 minutes left Town were put under severe pressure having to make a succession of blocks before Fulop pushed a shot from Nolan round the post. A minute later Forte went through with McAuley doing exceptionally well to get back and put in a tackle - the ball rolling just beyond the post.

Smith rose high in the 85th minute to head a right wing corner a foot over the bar. Smith then let in Forte who went on to go round McAuley, but somehow miss the target when a goal looked inevitable.

Fulop made a good stop in stoppage time in a game that coiuld have ended 6-0 or even 0-3 - or anything in between.