Scunthorpe United v Burnley

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Football League Championship

Scunthorpe United2 (0)Burnley0 (0)

Paterson 47, Goodwin 64

Scunthorpe United :
Murphy, Byrne, Crosby, Iriekpen (Butler 24), Williams, Hurst, Goodwin, Baraclough, Forte (Sparrow 67), Hayes, Paterson (Taylor 87)
Subs not used:
Lillis, Youga

Burnley :
Kiraly, Duff, Carlisle, Unsworth, Jordan, Elliott (Akinbiyi 66), McCann (Spicer 79), Gudjonsson, Harley (Lafferty 57), Gray, Blake
Subs not used:
Jensen, James O'Connor


by Vic Duke at Glanford Park

I GET to do this report as I was around to watch our previous six seasons in the no nonsense Second Division.

Yes, I was there for the last home game in Division Two at the Old Show Ground in April, 1964, when the Iron beat Newcastle United 2-0 (to no avail, relegation was secured the next Saturday). However, I didn't attend the first ever game at this level, a 1-1 draw versus Ipswich Town in August, 1958, as we were away on the family holiday (as a 10-year-old, I had no choice in the matter). My first Division Two game was in September, 1958, to see a 2-2 draw against Derby County in a crowd of 13,318 (those were the days).

An early start was made to catch an earlier than usual train to Scunny in order to avoid the Burnley hordes, who share my train route from the Pennines. As a result, arrival at the Bent Lawyer was moved forward also to even earlier than high noon. Sad to learn that star barmaid Charlie has emigrated to New Zealand - the lengths people will go to avoid contact with SULSESC!

Numerous members of the said organisation began to gather including Andrew and Darren from Manchester, our leader Andy plus partner and infant daughter (a future SULSESC secretary if ever I saw one), Neil, Jon, Keith, etc (I got so pissed later that I can't remember who else I spoke to). Once again we were grateful to Jon for a lift from the pub to the vicinity of Glanford Park.

For the first 20 minutes of the match, the Iron were outclassed by a neat Burnley side that would not let us have the ball. Burnley amassed five

corners in the first ten minutes, but failed to find the back of the net.

When last week's hero Izzy limped off after 24 minutes, things looked bleak. However, gradually the Iron settled down, gained a share of possession and grew in confidence. Hurst stood out on the left with a few good runs and dangerous crosses. Half-time, 0-0, and we are in the match.

In the second half, United imposed themselves right from the start and took the lead with a good goal on 47 minutes. Goodwin took a quick free kick (which caught Burnley napping - good coaching from Adkins) to Hayes, who laid the ball back into the path of Paterson. An accurate low shot into the corner followed. The Iron's second goal on 64 minutes was also a classy finish. From the right wing, Forte passed the ball into Goodwin's path and he did the rest, pushing the ball past the defender on one side and surging past him on the other side, followed by an unstoppable shot.

So, another good performance by United in the Second Division - I've seen many. The team are solid, well organised and, above all, battlers.

Victory was celebrated with a swig of Andrew's 'Metaxa Lucozade'.

Back to the Lawyer for more celebration and, lo and behold, the Iron are in a play-off position. Freeze the league table now. At this rate Man City will win the Manchester derby tomorrow!