Scunthorpe United v Lincoln

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

English League Cup

Scunthorpe United4 (1)Lincoln3 (0)

Torpey 7, Mulligan 58, Paul 111, Baraclough 112

Stallard 69, Frecklington 80, Beevers 92

Scunthorpe United :
Murphy, Byrne, Crosby, Foster, Williams, Mulligan (Taylor 71), Sparrow, Hinds, Foy (Baraclough 71), Torpey (Paul 23), Sharp
Subs not used:
Lillis, Ridley

Lincoln :
Rayner, Beevers, Moses, Morgan, Mayo, Amoo, Kerr, Frecklington, Hughes, Stallard, Forrester
Subs not used:
Marriott, Cryan, Semple, Gritton, Ryan


by Jon Dunn at Glanford Park

HAVING witnessed the debacle at Millmoor on Saturday and with Lincoln unbeaten and Scunny without a win, I was not looking forward to this game.

Indeed, had it not been for the fact that I had told Andy I would write the match report and that a Lincoln supporting workmate was travelling with me, I would probably have stayed at home and watched on Ceefax.

As it was, this turned into one of the most entertaining encounters between these two sides for quite a while.

The first noticeable thing about Lincoln was that they were not as big as in past years. The next notable thing was that they actually tried to play football! No hoofing it upfield, so the grass at Sincil Bank might actually get some use this year.

That said, the Iron actually started much the brighter and looked up for it. On seven minutes, Sharp played the ball across for the returning Donkey (actually typed that without thinking!) Torpey, who controlled well and "lashed" – Lincolnshire Echo's words, not mine – the ball past Rayner in the Lincoln goal. I jokingly quipped to my mate thatanother four should ensure the game would not go to extra-time!

We continued to dominate much of the play with debutants Foy and Paul (on for the injured Torpey) looking lively and Lincoln having few chances.

When Mulligan fired in a direct free kick on 58 minutes, it looked less likely that extra-time would be needed. However some things never change and with their first real attack of the game, Lincoln scored and this lifted the 800 or so travelling supporters.

Laws reacted by taking off Mulligan and Foy and bringing on Barraclough and Taylor. However, Lincoln’s tails were up and they continued to push forward. It was no surprise when they equalised, indeed at that stage I thought they would go on and win it.

Into extra-time and Lincoln took the lead with a sloppy goal, a glancing header from Beevers going in off the post. That’s it, I thought, no dream trip to Accrington in round two. However, in the second period of extra-time, Shane Paul scored his first goal for the club when he was left unmarked eight yards out.

Then, with Lincoln still reeling, Raynor (whose haircut was probably more effective as a bog brush than he was as a ‘keeper) punched poorly straight to Barraclough who, from 16yards or so, volleyed the ball back across goal and into the net. Cue scenes of delirium amongst the home faithful and the trip to Accrington was back on.

A typical Scunny rollercoaster of a game but one in which we came out on top. Overall, my Lincoln-supporting mate thought we deserved it and so did I.